Tips to Help You Save Energy this Holiday SeasonPosted on 11/26/12
Now that Thanksgiving has come and gone, it’s time to start thinking about holiday decorations. Whether you celebrate Chanukah, Kwanza, or Christmas – lights will probably be a large part of your festive theme. Here are some tips to help you save energy this holiday season:
- LED lights use 90% less electricity than traditional Christmas lights.
- Trees and decorations that are fiber optic are far more eco-friendly than the “real” thing. In fact, many of these units use a single light bulb in the base to illuminate the entire decoration.
- Don’t turn your lights on until it’s dark…besides, you want to actually see them don’t you?
- Take advantage of all this extra lighting by limiting the amount of time other house lights are on. If your tree is so bright it lights up the entire living room, then why bother using the household lamps and lighting fixtures.
- Throwing a holiday party? Turn the thermostat down while the oven is working and guests are crowding your home.
- And while you’re playing the role of party chef, maximize efficiency by baking mulitple dishes in your oven at the same time. In fact, you might not even need the oven for everything. If you have a toaster oven or similar electric heating device (like a hot plate) use those when/if possible.
For more home improvement and energy saving tips, visit the Veach View Blog by Kerry Veach. Kerry is a Destin, FL Realtor and Real Estate Broker with 22 years of experience assisting thousands in the exciting process of buying and/or selling a home. He is a member of the RE/MAX Hall of Fame, the RE/MAX Platinum Club, and the RE/MAX® 100% CLUB. In 2011, he earned the RE/Max Lifetime Achievement Award.
If you would like to buy a home in Destin, FL or sell a home in Destin, FL, contact Kerry Veach. With over 1,000 closings and thousands of satisfied clients, it’s no wonder that 95% of Kerry’s business comes from referrals.